The intellectual perception of a Saudi, Muslim woman - Rabab Khodary



My journey through cultures

Delving : engaging with different cultures as an integral element for increasing science awareness through technology

An idea brought by :
Rabab AbdulAziz Khodary



Friday, May 7, 2010

The inspiration behind my passion to learn about Neuroscience - written by Rabab Khodary



Rabab Khodary,
   7/05/2010



A Journey inside the brain - The story and I

In 2005 I attended a lecture on Autism which changed my view of the world. I specifically remember a video clip of a child who was screaming, shouting and crying. The child was clearly confused and upset – he was acting hyperactive and, at times, very aggressively. The child suffered from Autism and no one seemed to be able to reach him. I could feel the tears well up in my eyes as I watched the suffering and confusion created by this child’s condition. I couldn’t help but wonder, ‘How does this child perceive the world? How is his perception different from mine?’

After this experience I started to read about disorders and diseases that affect the brain. That single lecture opened my mind and created a strong desire to learn about the mechanisms of how we think and feel. Although Neuroscience is not part of my formal educational training, I do have a Bachelor’s degree in Medical technology which has allowed me to have some insight into the field. In an effort to learn more, and to share what I am learning with others I have worked to create two simple projects : ‘The Jigsaw Puzzles of Brain Disorders’ and the ‘Global Mind Innovation Project’. The “Jigsaw Puzzles of Brain Disorders” aims to examine the mysteries of brain disorders. Disorders of the brain are conceptually similar to jigsaw puzzles; we have many pieces of information but cannot fit these pieces together to fully understand the disorders. The problem is difficult since there is still much we don’t understand about normal brain function.

The Global Mind Innovation (GMI) Project aims to increase awareness about specific brain disorders and diseases at an international level. I hope to share experiences and open discussions about latest therapies and theories by creating a large network of interested participants. Through the GMI project I am trying to integrate members of diverse cultural backgrounds. Currently four members, each with a unique culture and background, are actively involved in the project. We are working to share ideas, experiences, and visions to promote awareness through the use of technology. This group includes David Machacek, Veronica Bachiller and Maha Al Zaiem and myself.

My aim isn't limited to a country or a region, rather I aim for a global discussion. I aim for a discussion that would allow the exchange of perceptions, opinions, experiences and visions of people willing to listen and engage. I am proud to be Muslim woman from Saudi Arabia with an open mind that respects other cultures and I am ready for challenges. I welcome all the people to my website in order to benefit each other regardless of race, religion, gender or age. I want to explore intellect and creativity through the eyes of different people from different cultures . The members of the GMI want to cooperate as one unit, without restrictions imposed by traditional boundaries in our respective search for knowledge and understanding. I thank them for joining my simple project.




الإلهام وراء شغفي بتعلم علم الأعصاب - بقلم رباب خضري



رباب خضري

7/05/2010



رحلة داخل الدماغ – أنا والقصة



حضرت في عام 2005 محاضرة عن التوحد غيرت نظرتي للعالم. وأتذكر بشكل خاص "فيديو كليب" عن طفل كان يصرخ ويبكي ويصيح ، وكان واضحاً أنه يعاني من الارتباك والاضطراب. كان مفرط النشاط وفي بعض الأحيان شديد العدوانية ، فهو يعاني من التوحد ولا أحد يبدو قادراً على الوصول إليه. وعندها شعرت بعيني تغرورقان بالدموع وأنا أشاهد المعاناة والارتباك الذي أحدثته حالة ذلك الطفل. فلم يسعني إلا التساؤل " كيف يدرك هذا الطفل العالم من حوله ؟ ما الاختلاف بين إدراكه وإدراكي ؟



بعد هذه التجربة بدأت أقرأ عن أنواع الاعتلال والأمراض التي تؤثر على الدماغ. تلك المحاضرة الوحيدة فتحت عقلي وخلقت لدي رغبة قوية للتعرف على الآليات الخاصة بالكيفية التي نفكر ونشعر بها ، وذلك على الرغم من أن علم الأعصاب ليس جزءاً من تدريبي التعليمي الرسمي ، فأنا احمل درجة البكالوريوس في التقنية الطبية التي سمحت لي بالإلمام ببعض التبصر في المجال. وفي جهد لمعرفة المزيد ولمشاركة ما أتعلمه مع الآخرين عملت على إعداد مشروعين بسيطين : مشروع " ألغاز تجميع الأشكال الخاصة باضطرابات الدماغ " ومشروع " ابتكار العقل العالمي". يهدف المشروع الأول إلى فحص غموض اضطرابات الدماغ. فاضطرابات الدماغ تشبه نظرياً ألغاز تجميع الأشكال Jigsaw ، فلدينا العديد من قطع المعلومات ولكننا لا نستطيع مطابقة وتنظيم هذه الأشكال مع بعضها لفهم تلك الاضطرابات على نحو تام. فالمشكلة تظل صعبة طالما لا زال لدينا الكثير مما لا نفهمه عن الوظيفة العادية للدماغ



المشروع الثاني ، ابتكار العقل العالمي ، يهدف إلى زيادة الوعي عن اضطرابات وأمراض معينة للدماغ على المستوى العالمي. وأتمنى أن أتبادل التجارب والمناقشات المفتوحة حول آخر المعالجات والنظريات عن طريق خلق شبكة عريضة من المشاركين المهتمين. أنا أحاول من خلال مشروع ابتكار العقل العالمي توحيد أعضاء ينتمون إلى خلفيات ثقافية متنوعة. لدي 4 أعضاء في الوقت الراهن يتميز كل واحد منهم بتفرد الثقافة والخلفية. وجميعهم يرتبطون ويتفاعلون مع المشروع بنشاط. نحن نعمل على تبادل الأفكار والتجارب والرؤى لتطوير الوعي من خلال التكنولوجيا. وتتضمن هذه المجموعة الدكتور ديفيد ماشاسيك ، فيرونيكا باشيلر ، ومها الزعيم وشخصي



هدفي ليس محدوداً بدولة أو إقليم معين بل يتعدى ذلك إلى المناقشة العالمية. فإنا أهدف إلى مناقشة تسمح بتبادل مفاهيم و آراء وتجارب ورؤى الناس الراغبين في الاستماع والارتباط. وأنا افخر بكوني امرأة مسلمة من المملكة العربية السعودية ذات عقل منفتح يحترم الثقافات الأخرى وأنا على أهبة الاستعداد للتحديات. وأرحب بكل الناس في موقعي الالكتروني من أجل أن ننفع بعضنا البعض بغض النظر عن العرق أو الدين أو النوع أو العمر. أريد أن استكشف الفكر والإبداع من خلال عيون الناس المختلفين المنحدرين من ثقافات مختلفة. يرغب أعضاء مشروع ابتكار العقل العالمي في التعاون بوصفهم وحدة واحدة ، دون قيود تفرضها الحدود التقليدية على سعينا نحو المعرفة والفهم. وأنا أشكرهم على الانضمام إلى مشروعي البسيط



3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Rabab,
    When I'd seen this blog, I felt my tears come down from my eyes. I wouldn't imagine or expect that you have like this passion runs in your mind and blood frankly. I really respect your thoughts and deeds which make me realized that this's what Allah brought us for. Two big thumbs to you Robi, you've reached the purpose of our existence ......... Me and I with you always.
    Regards,
    Ghadeer Sabhan

    ReplyDelete